Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cheaters Never Win. Define Never.

I'm not sure if you've noticed but I've been hiding something from you.  It's true.  When I started this blog I promised myself that I would put it all out there when it came to my new healthier lifestyle.  The good, the bad and the pudgy.  It was going to be my motivation; a way to keep me accountable for what I've done.  So when i started cheating a bit on my diet, i started posting fewer blogs.  Lying by omission I guess.  I might have (definitely did) left out (completely avoided) a few (all) of the less positive (bad, bad, bad) details of my last few weeks.  And for this, i am sorry (kind of).


See, things were going so well that i didn't want to let you know that i had slipped a little.  And at times, a lot.  I gained some of my weight back and i did it pretty quickly.  It freaked me out but not enough to stop me from my downward spiral.  Those terrible foods that are oh-so-yummy called my name and wouldn't let me go.  I ate Mexican (often), cookies, chips, things covered in cheese, things covered in grease, cookies (oh, did i mention those already?), and lots of other things that i had sworn off or at least had limited to once-in-a-while treats.  


On top of this i stopped working out.  See, it's hot outside.  Like stupidly, humid hot.  And when the thermostat gets set on Hades i have a hard time pushing myself to do anything that makes me voluntarily sweat.  During the time of year when the short walk from my car to the house makes me feel sticky and rundown, all i want to do when i walk in the door is change into comfy clothes and cool down.  Jumping on the elliptical is not a cool down type of activity.  It's a sweaty one.  And, dang it, i'm tired of sweating!!!


I guess my wake up call came when i went to put on a pair of pants that had gotten loose and realized that they were beginning to fit a little tighter.  This was not the direction I was supposed to be going in.  The scale was not supposed to be going up.  I was letting myself down.  I was cheating.  And cheaters never win.  Well mostly.  


See, the thing is that I have cheated throughout this entire process.  On the weekends I have allowed myself to indulge in things that I dare not touch during the week.  Want a cookie?  Sure. Have one.  (O-N-E!!)   Need to go eat Mexican on a Saturday night?  Sure. Make that your big cheat meal for the weekend.  This way has worked for me.   I don't go cold turkey on things i love to have and by doing so i don't crave them all the time.  I watch myself pretty closely throughout the week and then get to cheat a bit on the weekends.  Or i substitute a weeknight for a weekend day.  Either way i was still loosing weight.  So cheaters can win.  But when your cheating turns into your lifestyle, you lose.  That's the difference.  The cheating was taking over.  And i've come to far to go back now.  


So about a week and a half ago i got off my butt, threw my excuses out the window, and got back on track.  I have worked out almost every day (most days getting up before work to do so) and have gone back to eating like I know what I'm doing.  I've planned meals better, watched my portions, and sweat it out with a purpose.  I've even added weights and crunches to my workouts.  I'm serious about losing this weight.  All of it.  


I had a doctor's appointment last week and since March 1st, I've lost 35 pounds.  So I've lost the extra I gained--thank goodness!  There's no stopping me now and i promise that I'll tell the truth from now on.  I might cheat here and there.  But I promise you I'm still going to win.    

3 comments:

  1. Hope you ate healthy last night b/c I plan on tearing UP some Mexi tonight!!!! :)
    You're doing great & I'm SO proud of you for working out... before work, no less! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for a new post! I'm so happy you vented about all that's been going on and know that we are all still proud of you for the huge accomplishment you have made. Don't let this little stuff discourage you from reaching your goals. You are one of the strongest people I know and can get through this! And HELL YEAH to 35 pounds!!! Whoa! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, I am SO SO SO SO SO proud of you. You can do it! You already are!

    I will try not to make you cheat at THE BEACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete