Friday, July 30, 2010

For richer for poorer...For bigger for smaller

I know you're going to anyway, but don't laugh.  This past Sunday, in a moment of pure curiousity (and, quite honestly, giddiness) I put my wedding dress on.  Yep, sure did.  I love that dress.  and ever since it's been hanging in my closet not getting the love it deserves, i have wanted to put it back on and dance around the house.  

Steven and I had just finished our morning pop tart and cereal, respectively, and he mentioned that I should try the dress on to see how diffierently it fits me since having lost some weight.  It really would be the best piece of clothing i have to test such things.  It's the only part of my wardrobe that has never been washed (Ok, don't judge me.  One day I will get it cleaned and preserved.  Promise.) or thrown in the dryer or worn repeatedly.  I have shirts and pants that would never be considered true to size because they have been through the rigours of everyday life far too many times.  Do you really think that shirt you've dried every week since you bought it a year ago is still a Medium?  (Clearly, i'm talking to you.  I own no such thing as a Medium.)  Well, it ain't.  But my wedding dress?  Well, that's some seriously untouched fabric.   The perfect template if you will.

I pulled the huge garment bag out of the spare bedroom closest and hoisted it over my shoulder to bring to our room.  I unzipped the bag (well, the part that wasn't already torn open anyway.  Thanks, David's Bridal.  That much for a dress and you can't at least give me a bag that doesn't shred upon contact with feathers?) and out came all the ruffles, all the sparklies, all the girly giggling that I had the first day I put it on.  I had to tell Steven (again) what it was like being there and finding that dress.  (Big thanks to Tiff who told me to try it on even though it had all these features I swore I didn't want--ruffles, sparklies, sweetheart neckline)  I stepped into the dress and turned to be laced up.  

And it didn't fit.  It just plain didn't fit.  It was too big.  Way too big.  I'm a girl who is used to things being too small.  And this was falling off of me!  And there was no amount of tightening on Steven's part that would have made it work.  Now I think I've established how much I love my wedding dress, but I could not be more thrilled that I can't wear it.  It's not like i need it or have somewhere to go that a white, bridal gown, complete with train, would be called for.  At least not at the moment.  

For all my elation I also got a little down.  Why?  Well, it's like i asked Steven.  Why didn't I do this sooner? I feel like there were all these things that I didn't enjoy to the fullest because of all this extra weight I was pulling around.  I wondered aloud at how much better our wedding pictures would have been.  Steven stopped me and said, "that's silly.  our day way perfect; i wouldn't change a thing."  And that's why I bought the big white dress, complete with sparklies and ruffles, and walked down the aisle to him.

4 comments:

  1. Awwwwww...I had tears in my eyes at the end! He's the best. And yes, I'm the best also! LMAO! But, regardless if you were smaller or bigger on your wedding day, the glow you had was natural and real. You were completely you, and completely in love. And that is what made that day special! Love you! xoxoxo =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany beat me to it! I absolutely agree - your wedding was beautiful. You looked amazing & happy & SO in love! And as for Steven... I love that kid (hehee) for how happy he makes you! I know I've said it a million times before, but he was such a great catch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I just got ready for work, complete with make-up that I am not good at so I worked very hard on it. And now, thanks to YOU, it is running down my face! I totally teared up! I need a tough girl shot or something, because I am a weenie!

    Anyway, I agree with the other ladies. Your wedding was perfect. Everything about it, even the imperfections were perfect. Shoot. I WANT YOUR WEDDING FOR ME! Hello?!?! And you were the most gorgeous bride I have ever seen. You were stunning. You are stunning. You will always be stunning. And Steven...I am SO glad that he is my brother in law. That boy says all the right things.

    Flashing back to your wedding...wishing we could do it all again. It really was a dream....and I am just the sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Considering your wedding pictures are all over our house, and were all over my desk at work (Don't worry. They will go up all over the new one!), and the kids fight over who gets to hold them to look at their "best friend," I am going to go ahead and say that they coul dnot get any better. And now, we have new family pictures ahead! You can show off your new bod in those, SEXPOT! YAY!

    ReplyDelete